7/14/2011

'Almost Perfect' Broccoli Burger & Baba Ganoush

There was a large eggplant in my vegetable subscription bag this week, and it must have found it's way into my dreams because this morning I woke up with the irresistable urge to make baba ganoush. So at ten o'clock in the morning I found myself roasting the incredible vegetable in the flames of my gas stove. After putting all the lime & cumin flavoured goodness in the fridge to rest I had to think of something to pair it with for dinner. Something falafely. I also wanted to cram in as many vegetables as possible knowing I would probably not be eating home for the next three days (and I predict a lot of fun but not a lot of greens on the upcoming wedding bbq and music festival). I decided to create a broccoliburger. Yep.

Actually, it turned out great, green and delicious, with a nice bite because of the TVP (in Dutch we call it 'sojabrokjes' which sounds even more appalling than 'textured vegetable protein'). The taste was what I had been craving since morning (and probably what I dreamed about last night). Only thing is, the damn burger would not stay together. It fell apart while baking, so next time I'll make it a bit less moist by adding some chickpea flour. It will work, the burger will see my power and submit to my will! You can see on the picture how I niftily got the deconstructed burger out of sight by bringing in some slices of cucumber. Looking good, aaight?

Broccoli Burger (4 patties)

1/2 head of broccoli
1/4 cup red lentils, cooked
1/2 cup TVP, soaked & drained
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 small red onion
1 clove of garlic
2 flax 'eggs' (2 tbsp of ground flaxseed, combined with 4 tbsp of water)
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp harissa paste
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp chickpea flower

Baba ganoush:
1 eggplant
1 tbsp tahin
juice of 1/2 lime
ground cumin
cayenne, salt

For the baba ganoush: punch some holes in the eggplant with a fork. Then stick the fork into the bottom and put directly into the flames of a medium gasfire. Keep turning around until all blackened. Then put in a bowl with a lid on it for about 15 minutes, and after the skin should be easy to peel off. Chop up or process in blender with tahin and lime juice, and season to taste. Let sit in the fridge for at least a few hours.

For the burgers: chop the broccoli and put in a foodprocessor with the cooked lentils, cilantro, onion and garlic. Put in a bowl. Then let the foodprocessor work it's magic on the tvp and flax eggs. Mix everything together in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and form into 4 patties. Bake for 5 minutes on either side, in sunflower- or coconutoil. Serve with the baba ganoush on some salad or in a whole wheat pita.

1 comment:

Winny said...

Bedankt voor het recept, ik zet het even bij mijn favorieten:)